Looking for fun or productive activities to do at home? This list is for you! Around the world we’re all being affected by the Coronavirus, or COVID-19. Many people are wisely staying home and practicing social distancing to avoid being exposed. Most of us are going to be stuck at home for a while, so we may as well make the most of it. Today I’m sharing 50 fun activities to do when you’re bored at home and social distancing during this pandemic. These activities are great whether you live alone or have a partner and kids.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. Using them gives me a small commission at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure here.
Why Practice Social Distancing?
Social distancing controls the spread of viruses. The Coronavirus is spread by person to person contact. It spreads through respiratory droplets that are produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes, which then lands in the nose or mouth of people within a 6 foot radius. The virus can also live on a surface for 3 days and transfer to anyone who touches it.
The less you’re around other people, the less chance you have of spreading or contracting Coronavirus.
Avoid public places, cancel travel plans, and don’t attend social gatherings.
If possible, work from home.
To keep yourself and your loved ones safe, practice social distancing and the safety tips below.
Essential Safety Tips
The most important thing all of us can do right now is follow the advice of health experts and do everything we can to prevent the spread of the Coronavirus.
From the CDC website:
Clean your hands often
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community.
If you are sick
- Stay home. If you need to go to the hospital call them beforehand so they can be ready for you.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Wear a facemask.
Clean and disinfect
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily. This includes tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
Follow the advice of your local government.
Error on the side of caution. Stay home and stay safe.
Look after the elderly and those with prior health issues, they are the most vulnerable.
Ok, onto the fun social distancing home activities!
Fun Activities to do at Home
1. Put together a large puzzle. This Dragonfly Mandala Puzzle is gorgeous!
2. Play games. Use your imagination!
- Make up new rules for old board games.
- Make up new games.
- Play The Floor is Lava.
- Create an obstacle course.
3. Play hide and go seek.
4. Have a movie marathon or binge watch your favorite TV series. I’ve been watching What We Do in the Shadows on Hulu.
5. Bake yummy treats.
6. Build a blanket fort.
7. Take walks (avoid taking children to parks where people might spread germs on the playground equipment).
8. Draw on the driveway with chalk. Write positive notes for your neighbors & mailman to read.
9. Start an Etsy shop.
10. Listen to podcasts, there are podcasts about every topic you could possibly be interested.
11. Turn chores into a game and get the kids to help.
12. Make silly costumes with household items.
13. Make homemade popcorn.
14. Facetime with friends and family members.
15. Read storybooks.
16. Get an early start on Spring Cleaning! Yes, this is considered fun for some people.
17. Try new home workouts on Youtube.
18. Have a spa day. Face mask, hair mask, bubble bath, mani/pedi, shave your legs and put on a nice moisturizer, etc.
19. Create a vision board.
20. Fung Shui your house.
21. Make homemade soup or chili, or something that takes a while to cook.
22. Organize your closets. Watch the Marie Kondo series on Netflix for inspiration.
23. Repaint a room in your house or give a piece of furniture a facelift with paint.
24. Read the unread books that have been sitting in your bookshelf or Kindle for a while.
25. Make digital copies of your paperwork and shred the physical copies.
26. Clear out your email inbox.
27. Throw away an expired food, beauty products, and cleaning products. Enjoy that freshly cleaned space!
28. Do a deep life reset.
29. Make a list of all the projects you’ve been meaning to do and start doing them.
30. Learn a new card game.
31. Make new playlists and have dance parties.
32. Get fresh air every day. Open the windows, take a walk, or sit in the sun for 10 minutes.
33. If you’re working from home, make your work space really organized or give it a makeover with Gorgeous Home Office Decor from Amazon.
35. Rearrange your furniture, doing this can bring new energy to your home.
36. Download Duolingo for free and learn a new language.
37. Skype with friend and family members, you can even watch movies together.
38. Learn a new skill from Youtube or Coursera. Knitting, calligraphy, painting, Photoshop, web design, cooking, etc.
39. Do the 30 Days of Yoga with Adrienne challenge
40. Watch Youtube videos, below are my favorites:
- Pick Up Limes – vegan cooking, she has a really soothing vibe
- Brittany Vasseur – organization, cleaning, life hacks
- Lavendaire – personal development
- muchelleb – life hacks, productivity
- Rachel Talbott – diy, organization, cleaning
41. Learn to garden and grow some plants.
42. Try a science experiment.
43. Watch a movie or play video games with a friend over the internet.
44. Have a picnic in your backyard, patio, or living room floor.
45. Learn calligraphy.
46. Learn to meditate. Try the Calm or Headspace apps, or free Youtube videos.
47. If you enjoy writing start a blog, I put together a 10 step guide for beginners to help you get started.
48. Take a long drive to someplace you’ve never been.
49. Start a journal. 50 Self-Discovery Journal Prompts for Personal Growth
50. DIY something in your home, search Pinterest for ideas. There are so many good craft ideas on Pinterest. You can make DIY art, home decor, etc.
I hope you found some good ideas from this list of fun home activities to do when you’re bored at home and social distancing alone or otherwise. Let me know your favorites! Please stay healthy and safe.
Look after yourself and your mental health. If you need self care ideas please check out 30 Self Care Ideas to Reduce Stress.